Prayas Kendra is a Community Care Centre situated in the premises of Don Bosco High School. In response to Christ’s call – ‘Whatever You do the least of my brethren, that You do unto Me’, the Centre was inaugurated on January 31, 2001 by the ex Cardinal Ivan Dias and is an initiative of the Parish of St. John Bosco, Borivali.
The very word ‘Prayas’ means effort. So the centre was started as an effort towards making a difference in the lives of the people, especially the marginalized and to enable them to make a conscious effort to improve their own lives. In order to achieve these goals, we have various projects in our centre, with special focus on education, vocational training, health and legal aspects. Through our community outreach programmes, we try to reach out to the people living in slums, who are deprived of their basic amenities. Our aim is to educate them about their various rights and empower them to be self-reliant.
Following activities are run under the banner of Prayas Kendra :
- Evening study class from Monday to Friday from 6.30p.m. to 8.30p.m. – Students from Std 1 to Std. 10 (English, Marathi and Hindi). This helps to provide quality education to the kids. It also gives them a platform to display their talents, to inculcate in them the basic values needed for life and to work towards the development of their personality. An annual picnic cum sports day is organized for the Children / Teachers.
- Tailoring Class for All from Monday to Friday between 2.00p.m. to 3.30p.m. and the 2nd batch from 3.30p.m. to 5.00p.m.
- Employment Cell – helps to co ordinate job seekers with appropriate employers.
- Legal Cell – cases are forwarded to Advocate Jaya Menon, Goregaon West, who advice people on the way forward in legal issues.
- Visits to the hospitals and slums, interaction with local Police station, as and when a case demands the same
- Medical Cell, wherein tie up has been done with local doctors for giving free or subsidized medical aid
- Assisting battered women harassed in their homes
- Continuous interaction with people / parishioners who visit the Kendra with their problems and directing them to NGO’s for further assistance.
“ For Every Problem, there is a Solution” – At Prayas Kendra